It’s no secret that cooking and eating Indian food are two of my most favorite activities – especially when the dish in question is cauliflower tikka masala.
In my opinion, perfectly tender, roasted cauliflower combined with a lusciously creamy, spicy, and tomatoey sauce makes up the ultimate Indian comfort food dish (that’s still healthy!).
“Irresistible” is a word I’d use to describe this dish. And the aroma. Oh, how I wish you could smell it through the computer screen…
Are you ready? Because I can’t wait to share my recipe for Vegan Cauliflower Tikka Masala with you.
The Best Vegan Cauliflower Tikka Masala
This vegan cauliflower tikka masala is best served over rice, with a side of garlic naan, and garnished with fresh cilantro. (That is, if you can stop yourself from eating it straight out of the pot. From my experience, this is not an easy feat.)
Ideal for a cold, cozy weekend in, a quick weeknight dinner, or as one part of a large Indian feast with friends, you and your people are going to love this dish.
All you need is 30 minutes, a cauliflower, and some other pantry staples.
If you’re interested in finding out what vegan Indian food heaven looks like, come with me. It’s time.
The ingredients for this cauliflower tikka masala are simple enough. You’ll need:
- Canned tomatoes
- Coconut cream (high quality, very low water content)
- Typical pantry spices
- Cilantro for garnish
The others you’ll need are cumin, turmeric, dried cilantro (coriander), smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and chili powder.
Ready in a flash, making this recipe involves only a few steps! Before you know it, you will have the deliciously vegan version of an Indian classic ready to devour.
- First, you will preheat the oven, and prep a baking sheet. Toss the cauliflower with some spices and olive oil, and bake it for about 12 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat a pan and add some olive oil. Sauté an onion, add in the spices, garlic, and ginger.
- In a blender, blend that onion-spice mixture with tomatoes and vegetable stock until smooth. Return it to the pot and bring it to a boil.
- Stir in the coconut cream. Add in salt, pepper, and sugar, to taste. Don’t be shy with the salt and pepper. You’ll only need a little bit of sugar. Take the stove down to a simmer, and cover the pot for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cauliflower.
- Serve over rice with garlic naan. Garnish with fresh cilantro. Enjoy!
As always, you can find the official recipe toward the bottom of this page.
Easy as can be, right?
There is nothing better than curry in a hurry… when the dish doesn’t taste like you rushed to make it.
With such depth of flavor and the perfect combination of textures, this dish seems like you spent at least a couple of hours making it!
If you’re looking for some more vegan Indian inspiration, check out my recipe for vegan chana aloo masala (chickpea potato curry).
The best Vegan Cauliflower Tikka Masala
Ready in 30 minutes (or less, if you’re a great multitasker), this vegan cauliflower tikka masala recipe is my secret weapon when I want to make something truly delicious in a snap.
It’s seriously creamy, spicy, and oh so comforting and delicious. It’s my kind of food.
I hope you like it, too.Print
Cauliflower Tikka Masala
This recipe for cauliflower tikka masala is spicy, creamy, tomatoey, and totally delicious. Vegan and super healthy, this meal is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner because you only need 25 minutes from start to finish. Serve with rice and garlic naan and garnish with cilantro for the ultimate vegan cauliflower tikka masala experience. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove and Oven
- Cuisine: Indian
- Diet: Vegan
FOR THE CAULIFLOWER
- 1 large head of cauliflower, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp dried coriander/cilantro
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- black pepper
FOR THE TIKKA MASALA
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, freshly grated
- 2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp dried coriander/cilantro
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper powder
- 1 can (400 g or 14 oz) tomatoes
- 1 can (400 g or 14 oz) high-quality coconut cream (see notes)
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- sugar, to taste
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 F (or 200 C).
- Toss the cauliflower with olive oil and spices. Line a baking sheet with baking paper and space out cauliflower so pieces aren’t touching. Bake for about 12 minutes, until cauliflower is lightly browned, and tender, but not too soft.
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil, and sauté onions until golden brown. Stir in garlic, ginger, and spices, and continue to sauté until aromatic.
- In a blender, blend the tomatoes, vegetable stock, and onion/spice mixture from the pot until smooth (or use an immersion blender). Return the liquid to the pot, bring to a boil.
- Stir in the coconut cream, and turn down the stove to low heat. Add salt, pepper, and sugar to taste – don’t be shy. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cauliflower.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro. Serve with rice and garlic naan. Enjoy!
The quality of coconut cream brands vary. To ensure a thick gravy, it is important to use high-quality coconut cream. Look at the ingredients list to find a product with a high coconut solids to water ratio; ideally, you want 100% coconut kernel extract with no water or thickeners added. Low-quality coconut cream will result in “soupy” or “runny” curry. You may need to trial and error a few different brands to find the best one.
Keywords: cauliflower tikka masala recipe with coconut cream, 30-minute vegan meal, vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, Indian food
Did you try this recipe? Leave a review and let us know how it went, in the comments section below. Make sure to tag us in your photos (@maddysavenue) on social media!