I’m Maddy, the cook, world explorer, blogger, and photographer behind Maddy’s Avenue!
I created this blog to inspire you to live a bold life: to discover yourself and the world around you at greater depths – one forkful, or one plane ticket, at a time.
Avenue noun av-e-nue
1: A culture-filled street, ripe for exploration
2: A way of making progress or moving through life; a path, route, or approach
On this website, you’ll find:
FOOD: Really delicious, plant-based recipes that will transport you to lands far from your kitchen.
TRAVEL: Inspiration, guides, and expert tips to plan your adventures (and meals) around the world.
LIFESTYLE: How you can live and work abroad, start your own business, and create the life you dream of.
Maddy’s Avenue is here to inspire you to live a bold life.
About the recipes:
Inspired by my travels around the world, my recipes help bring an authentic experience to your kitchen. Here, expect to find bold, bright, and balanced flavor-bomb recipes with a plant-based twist.
If you’re not afraid of trying something new, if some of your favorite ingredients include kaffir lime, garlic, chili, cilantro, tamarind, galangal, cumin, and soy sauce, if you’re willing to spend a little extra time for drool-worthy results (think steamed rice vs. pineapple and egg fried rice), and if you don’t mind occasionally sourcing an exotic ingredient or two, then you are in the right place.
So, come with me. Cook with me. And I promise, adventure will never be far away!
What do I mean by plant-based?
Recipes on Maddy’s Avenue are plant-based – or primarily made of plants: fruits and veggies, nuts, seeds, grains, legumes, and beans.
That means that you’ll find a variety of recipes here, spanning from vegan (plants only) to vegetarian (plants, eggs, and dairy) – and possibly a few pescatarian (seafood) recipes, too!
About the travels:
Maddy’s Avenue is where adventure and luxury meet.
- Hot air balloon over ancient temples in Myanmar, at sunrise, with champagne?
- Eat street tlayudas in Oaxaca City?
- Dine at a Michelin-star restaurant in Budapest?
- Take a three-day, self-guided canoe trip in New Zealand?
- Stay at a five-star resort in the jungles of Ubud?
- Volunteer for a week at an elephant sanctuary in Thailand?
- Take a one-month snowboarding expedition in Hokkaido?
- Backpack the Inka Trail to Machu Picchu?
- Take a cooking class in Florence?
These are the types of experiences you’ll find on this website!
WHAT IS MY TRAVEL STYLE?
When it comes to exploring new countries, cultures, and cuisines, getting the full, in-depth, and most authentic experience possible is always my #1 focus.
That could mean staying in local homestays or five-star resorts, eating street food or fine-dining, traveling by high-speed train, chicken bus, or tuk-tuk, sticking to a small budget or totally splashing out… or a combination of all of the above.
And all the while, I keep the local people, traditions and customs, animals, and environment in the front of my mind. Going lightly and making conscious decisions.
I’m a California native, named after a famous New York City avenue, but I currently call Byron Bay, Australia home. (And I also call it paradise). I’m here to learn, grow, and explore this planet – ever in search of bold flavors, epic adventures, and the perfect place to open my biodynamic farm and restaurant.
I hope to inspire you to travel further, eat your veggies, and chase your wildest dreams – all while leaving the world a better place than you found it.
A little more about Maddy
- A typical Saturday looks like: practicing yoga in the morning, relaxing at the beach by day, and eating an epic dinner out with friends (and sipping on chili mezcal margaritas, obviously).
- Thai, Mexican, Italian, Vietnamese, and Indian are my five favorite cuisines.
- My favorite destinations to date are Myanmar, Perú, Norway, Indonesia, México, New Zealand, and Italy.
- If you hadn’t noticed: eating inspires my travels and my travels inspire my cooking. (It’s a vicious cycle; I like it that way.)
- In addition to Maddy’s Avenue, I own a little marketing firm and work with a handful of epic clients who make positive impacts on the world.
- I speak Spanish fluently, and my food vocabulary is pretty strong in many other languages.
- My parents named me after the famous New York City street: Madison Avenue.
- My philosophy? I’m an advocate for spending money on experiences over things, always staying curious, and keeping our minds and hearts open. I believe we’re here to explore, experience, learn, and grow as much as we can in this life; my chosen avenues are traveling, cooking, and eating. I believe in working hard to really live, fully and freely, not living to work. And I know that it’s possible to create a life you love – one that’s adventurous and spontaneous, courageous, fulfilling, and free – but that definitely doesn’t mean that it’s easy.
Now what? Start here!
Still here? Let’s connect!
Make sure to subscribe below to receive new blog posts in your inbox (no spam, just content you love), and of course, feel free to reach out to me with any questions. I’d love to hear from you!
You can also find me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.